Ok, I figured I might as well put this out there…
While I was a teen my room was beyond a mess – you couldn’t see the floor except in pathways. Very messy indeed.
Every few months I attempted a purge of various areas by doing the following:
- Grab a handful of grocery bags
- Clear a place to sit (this usually meant shoving stuff aside with my foot)
- Put the garbage in the bags
- Toss the stuff I wanted to keep in the general direction of it’s intended home
- Toss grocery/garbage bags into hallway for later
- Toss laundry OVER garbage bags (farther into the hallway)
- Cleared everything within reach? Shuffle forward a bit and repeat
Now everyone over the age of 20 can see the flaws in my plan – mainly I didn’t get rid of the extra cra… uhh stuff that I didn’t need. I also, as my mom put it, used the floor as storage space for everything.
What I’d do different:
- Make the carpet pretty enough to be seen – Ikea’s carpets are good choices
- Storage! Under bed, shelves, etc
- Get rid of stuff – Freecycle, friends, put it out on the curb
#3 was the hardest for me – I’m naturally a packrat.